San Gregorio Magno in Majayjay, Laguna


San Gregorio Magno is the oldest church in Laguna located in Majayjay. Majayjay in itself, as one goes there, a sleepy town with all the rustic elements. It's as if one is transported back in time, where life is laid back and peaceful.




The church is still well maintained. I wasn't able to get a picture of the giant tree near this door since some kids were enjoying the view as they sat at the trees' thick branches.



There was some kind of scandal involving the parish priest and important artifacts of the church some years back. And sadly, I can see what that was as I entered the church. The retablo or altar is still majestic looking. But it now houses new plaster saints that for me, are kind of cheap looking (like the ones you see at street stalls).



The baptistry sits at a corner and on close inspection I was dismayed to find that it's like a big trash can with plastic bottles heaped inside.



One of the church ladies who noticed me taking pictures said with pride that it is the oldest church in Laguna and their pride and heritage. But I felt more sad than awed because it seems to have been pillaged from withing. I can count probably one or two antiques inside and I won't say where because these might still disappear.










Some old houses and the old munisipyo.





Just read my post about getting to Dalitiwan resort to get directions on how to commute to Majayjay



No comments:

Post a Comment

Updating My Travel blog

It's hard to maintain a blog and work a full time job. I've traveled quite a few times already since my last blog post, and unfortun...

Dalitiwan Resort in Majayjay, Laguna