Batad, Where our Journeys Began

We wanderlust friends started late in traveling around the Philippines. It was after a day trip trek at Mt. Batulao that we all decided to explore our wonderful country and we were already pushing 40. So it was decided that our first official wanderlust destination would be Batad.


I was ignorant of Batad, of where it was and what it looked like. When asked about the Ifugao Rice Terraces, the idea that comes to my mind is the often pictured rice terraces of Banaue. My friends sent me the itinerary with instructions to pack light. We searched the various bus companies that supposedly plied the Mountain Province route, but only found one that really operates which is Ohayami in Sampaloc, Manila.

It was raining the night we were to go up Banaue, and we learned that the bus leaves at 10PM and takes only one trip daily. The rain in Manila we later realized would be the least of our worries once we started our trek to Batad.

Our friend who got the tickets just texted us what bus number we would be taking. As my other friend and I stepped inside the bus, I had that sudden urge to step out and run. We were literally shocked to find that every seat on the bus was taken up by western foreign tourists and the only Asian and familiar face that we could see was that of our friend on the back of the bus. It took a while for my friend and I to move to take our seats at the back.

The trip to Banaue takes about 10hours from Manila. Even though we were seated at the back, it was comfy and cold enough that we had to bring out a blanket for us to be able to sleep. By around 6AM, passengers started to get excited and brought out cameras and cellphones to take pictures of the view outside our bus. Unfortunately for me and my friends, we could only stare in utmost envy at them because we could not see anything from our seats and the lady in front of us closed the curtains and peeked the view from behind it.

We got off the main town in Banaue. Unlike most of the bus crowd, we opted to have breakfast first and try to find transportation to Batad Saddle. Luck was with us because a resident of Batad was also at the restaurant eating breakfast and was in town to pick up supplies. Thus, instead of the uber-expensive fee the tourist office was quoting us, we only paid P150 each for the trip.

From Banaue, it will take another two hours to get to Batad Saddle. The Saddle is the jump off point to Batad proper. The trip to the Saddle in itself is an adventure and we admire those brave enough to do toploading to get to Batad.


At the Saddle, my friends had to employ two local kids to porter or carry their things. They, who reminded me to pack light did not heed their own advice. We rented walking sticks and started our 6km trek to Batad.



You will know that you are near the village once you get to a cement path. And when you turn, the magnificent view of Batad will be in front of you.


We stayed at the Hillside Inn for P200 a night per person. The room is clean and comfy enough, but the best part is that you have a great view of the rice terraces from your room and from the veranda where they serve meals.


After lunch and a short siesta, we explored the village. We were able to get to the rice terraces, but it is a slippery trek (for me at least). We did not go to Tappiya falls, since my friend and I get dizzy with heights and I was scared of either breaking my neck, or being chased out of the village if I fall in the newly planted rice shoots.

By evening we slept early since we were told that the jeeps to Banaue leave at 9AM. Traveller tip: if you are like us who are city dwellers not used to physical activity, eat something first before leaving the inn. It is a 6km uphill climb and I brought a friend last year who hooted with laughter as I told him how we found the climb difficult, he called us fat. When his time came, he understood how difficult the trail was.

If asked if I would go back again, I certainly would. While the terraces are still there. This UNESCO heritage site is slowly dying because the younger generation no longer want to farm. The village now relies on tourists who do volunteer work on the terraces in order to maintain it. The trip in itself is an adventure, the destination a wonder to behold.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Updating My Travel blog

It's hard to maintain a blog and work a full time job. I've traveled quite a few times already since my last blog post, and unfortun...

Dalitiwan Resort in Majayjay, Laguna